Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Enough to make me lose my lunch . . .

Next time I hear someone say "Although I’m against the war in Iraq, I wholeheartedly support our troops," I’m going to puke. Don’t you realize you’re contradicting yourself when you say that?!

It’s analogous to telling an cinematic actress, "Although I’m against people watching movies, I support your profession." Or telling a plumber, "Although I’m against people getting their pipes cleaned, I support what you do for a living." Or telling a plastic surgeon, "Although I’m against people getting nose jobs, I support your work."

I just don’t get it.

If I were a soldier, how could I possibly feel appreciation from people who say they support me but are against what I’m fighting for every day? I’m sorry but, if I were a soldier, and if you wanted to support me, you’d have to support my calling.

When people say they are against the war but support the troops, it’s a sickening, sneaky, feel-good, cop-out. You simply cannot appreciate soldiers if you cannot appreciate war.

No comments: