Monday, April 19, 2004

A Good Book Affects Your Nose

Entranced. That’s a very good word to describe my fixation while reading Girl With a Pearl Earring. I simply couldn’t put it down. (I finished the last few pages on my commute to work this morning.) The story was captivating, with a lot of hidden meaning and symbolism. It completely engaged my imagination and pulled my whole being into another world. Kudos to author Chevalier for such an astounding and insightful work. Now I know why it was a New York Times Bestseller.

As I finished the book, a familiar feeling crept over me. It’s the type of feeling I always get after reading a good piece of fiction. (Which, as I stated earlier, has been too long!) It’s the satisfaction of resolution after the building up of curiosity and anticipation. Do you know this feeling? Do you experience it too?

If a book is really good, after reading it, I’ll turn it over in my hands for a few moments and contemplate the ending. As I’m doing this, I’ll suddenly realize I’ve been so caught up in the drama that I’ve been holding my breath for a long time. Then I’ll sigh heavily. If it was an exceptionally good book, and you’re probably gonna think this is stupid, my nose starts stinging involuntarily. It’s rare, though, to find a book that moves me to the point of noise-pain. Girl With a Pearl Earring was that kind of book. I highly recommend it.

I won’t bore you with other details of our eventful weekend. It’s now Monday. No more worlds of fiction, drama and intrigue for the present moment. For now, I must forget the imaginary world. Back to work. Back to life.

No comments: