Thursday, April 01, 2004

Last night I met a hero.

I take a lot of heat for being a Dr. Laura fan. And I’m always quite ready and willing to defend myself. Dr. Laura Schlessinger is one of the most brilliant people I’ve ever encountered. She cuts through the fat, perceives the issue, and articulates it like no one I’ve ever met. I typically agree with her analysis and I love her wit. I love how she combats the lies and deception of extreme feminism and other liberal ideology. She is an amazing person. Because of her, many people have been empowered to make better choices in life. Including me.

So, anyway, enough of that. I bring up this whole topic because last night she came to Sacramento for a book signing – promoting her latest book, “The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands.” (Kevin was happy to take me to this event.) ;)

There were ten billion people standing in line to meet her and get their book signed. And I’m only exaggerating maybe slightly. The line extended out of the Borders bookstore, around the building, down the slope of the gigantic parking lot, and out onto the major boulevard below. I decided that I would forego meeting her in person because it would take at least two hours to wait in line. And there was no guarantee that I would even make it through.

Since the book was 30% off, we decided to go buy it anyway. The Borders employee looked at me and asked, “You’re not going to get it signed?” “No, the line is too long,” I replied. She said, incredulously, “You have to get it signed.” Before I knew it, she physically pushed me into a clearing in the line and Dr. Laura was within sight. Please note: I FELT VERY GUILTY ABOUT THIS. Kevin couldn’t believe I got it signed.

So, anyway, last night I met a hero. Not that she’ll ever remember me. But I’ll always remember her.

And note: I hope I look as good as her when I’m that old.

No comments: