Thursday, April 01, 2004

Mozart

The problem with classical music is that it’s so dang hard to remember the names of all the songs. I mean, rather than calling his songs “Sunny Side of the Street” or “Kiss Me Baby, One More Time” Mozart had the bright idea of naming them “Piano Concerto No. 23 in A major.” And it gets even more complicated than that. You see, the second movement of that piece, according to Kevin, is actually in “F sharp minor.”

Who (but Kevin, and a few other brainy people) can remember all Mozart’s song titles? How complicated is that?

The second movement of “Piano Concerto No. 23 in A major” is the precise song that we wake up to every weekday morning. This song, I think, has become the theme of my life. It puts me in a really reflective mood every morning. It’s almost like I’m being let in on someone’s melancholy thoughts. I envision a person who is very sad. He has just been betrayed or something else very tragic has happened. It’s like someone stabbed him and twisted the knife. He is disbelieving. He is in a daze. He’s trying understand and take it all in. But, despite the pain, something beautiful is happening. It’s like a surprising sort of happiness intertwined with tragedy.

This probably doesn’t make any sense to you. But, then again, I’m usually still half asleep when I’m thinking these thoughts.

Although I’m not the most avid classical music buff in the world (heh, heh), I have to admit that Mozart makes me reflect on more complex and deep subject matter than Britney Spears ever could.

No comments: