Friday, April 30, 2004

Nostalgia

Did any of you ever ride your bike to Thrifty’s when you were a kid and get a scoop of ice cream for 50 cents? I was talking to this guy the other day who is about ten years older than me. Apparently he only had to pay 25 cents when he was a kid. I don’t think it’s fair that the price doubled in only ten years! Anyway, I always, without fail, got the chocolate malted crunch flavor. That was the best. Today I took a walk at lunch and passed by a Rite-Aid. Then I remembered that Thrifty’s was bought out by Rite-Aid (oh the wonderful world of mergers and acquisitions) and I wondered if they still had an ice cream counter inside. It was my lucky day! Not only did they have an ice cream counter, they still sold my favorite flavor! (But now, by the way, it’s 99 cents for a scoop.) It’s amazing how one little nostalgic scent or flavor will remind you of so many things. And then one thought leads to another . . . and another . . .

I ate my ice cream cone outside the store on a park bench. This funny little bird sat at my feet the whole time and watched me, expecting me to share with him. Finally I picked out a chocolate chip and threw it at him. He didn’t take me up on it, though. Silly bird. What kind of right-minded creature would refuse chocolate?

No comments: