Monday, April 19, 2004

Tale of the Modern Era

Well, I’m happy to report that our toilet clogging problems have been solved. And, I’m also happy to report that the Koons household now has the coolest toilet plunger of all.

As I scanned the aisle at Target, I was shocked to discover that the only toilet plunger on the shelf was ten bucks! "This is highway robbery," I thought to myself. But then I read the back of the label and discovered that it’s not just any toilet plunger. It’s a special toilet plunger. In fact, it’s a Michael Graves toilet plunger. ("The Michael Graves collection provides an inspired balance of form and function. Sensible and sublime, practical and whimsical, the objects envisioned by this world renowned architect infuse our daily lives with joy.") "So, if I buy this product, we can be joyful toilet plungers," I thought. "And it comes with a nifty little stand, a non-slip grip handle, and a residual water drip tray. Maybe it’s worth ten bucks after all." I glanced at my watch and realized that I didn’t have time to waste - our guests would soon arrive at our home, and thus our toilet! I rushed to the checkout line. Several people glanced over at me, holding my toilet plunger and a six pack of Pepsi. They knowingly smiled.

Ya know, it’s great to live in an era where they pay "world renowned" architects to design state-of-the-art toilet plungers, pay marketing executives beaucoup bucks to entice you to buy them, and let the costs trickle down to you, the consumer.

Happy plunging!

No comments: