Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Adventures in the Sky

On Saturday I begged Kevin to take me to the annual air show in S.F. A group of kids from our church were going and needed “chaperones,” but, secretly, I wanted to go ‘cuz it sounded like fun. As we drove across the Bay Bridge into the City, we spotted a plane taking a spinning nosedive toward the Bay. This made me recollect the time that my sister Betsy, a pilot, took Kevin and me up in a little Cessna. I was somewhat nervous going up with her because I know first-hand how she drives automobiles. (I was relieved, however, to discover that she’s an excellent pilot.) As we were in the air, just over the Pacific Ocean, Betsy started talking about all these emergency maneuvers she knows in case the engine dies in mid-air. Then, she suddenly (to illustrate her skill?) dropped the plane a hundred feet. I’ve never screamed so much in all my life. (I mean, I absolutely love things like roller coasters, but airplanes aren’t on a track, you know!) Next, she proceeded to turn the plane upside down, and around again. Although Kevin seemed to enjoy these little tricks, by the time our ride was over my voice was gone and my knuckles were white and purple from clinging to the edge of my seat.

Incidentally, Betsy has her final interview with Continental Airlines today. I hope she gets the job because siblings fly free. And, like my sister Christy said, it would be so wonderful to be able to say, “Gee, I think I’ll go to Kenya today,” and not have to pay for it.

The sad part about Saturday was that we missed most of the air show. We got to Fisherman’s Wharf late because one of the kids had to take his SAT test that morning. Another sad part was that the Blue Angles ended up not being able to make it. BUT . . . aside from the disappointments, what we saw of it truly was incredible. I was really impressed with the Canadian airplanes (I forget their name?), performing stunts and flying in cool formations.

After catching the last bit of the air show, we walked to Union Square. Kevin told me later that: “I will never again let you tell people that ‘Oh, it’s not that far!’ to walk to Union Square from the Wharf.” Kevin says that I do this all the time when we go to S.F. with people who aren’t familiar with the City. Kevin thinks it’s too long to drag people because of the distance, and the fact that it’s mostly uphill, and (strangely enough) people always seem to be hungry about half-way there. Sigh . . . but I really love walking in S.F. It’s just so much fun! Too bad others don’t share my joy. [sob]

At church on Sunday, Angela told me (in front of her mom) that we were great chaperones and the kids loved us because we let them do whatever they wanted. I could see the mother’s eyes widen at this comment. WRONG thing to say in front of the mother, Angela! ;-)

3 comments:

CABeachBlonde said...

I share your joy, trust me! I can hardly think of anything more fun than walking around S.F. ... Ok, so there are some others, but that's definately a tippy top! One of the most beautiful, sparkling cities ever...esp. during sun shiny Fleet Weeks...

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I'm going to pray she gets the job too. You guys won't have any excuses for not coming back to VA to visit us! :) SEM

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Amy. lol. I'll try to keep that stuff on the DL from now on. ;)

-ang