Monday, October 18, 2004

In Love With Coupons

After shopping on Friday night, we used a coupon for “buy one get one free” at the local mini-golf course. I think this is the first time we’ve been mini-golfing without inviting other friends to come. We had so much fun and have determined to do this again for a future date night. This particular course was awesome – it had tons of trap doors, and other amusing obstacles. The entire game was hysterical because both of us are extremely competitive. Before we began, I figured Kevin would probably blow me out of the water. But, actually, when we ended the game, I lost by only four points. I think it helped that I got three holes in one. But the fact that I got three holes in one and still lost perfectly demonstrates how inconsistent of an athlete that I am. Anyway, I’m happy to report that, even though I lost, I definitely had him scared a few times and I sure as anything gave him a run for his money. Thus, the game was a success.
________________________

While Kev was at his choral practice on Saturday (in which he says he almost completely lost his voice after singing for seven hours straight), I went grocery shopping. Apparently there’s fierce grocery store competition in our new neighborhood. I say this because we got tons of coupons in the mail for free stuff, welcoming us to the neighborhood. One store gave us a free breakfast (eggs, bacon, bread, and preserves) along with a free frying pan. (Of course, it’s a really low-quality frying pan. But, nonetheless!) Another store gave us a free hot-dog dinner with chips and coke, etc. Another store gave us a bunch of free random stuff, including air freshener, paper towels, and pre-made salad. So, basically, since the coupons were going to expire soon, I spent two hours hopping from grocery store to grocery store collecting all the free stuff. It was great. (I didn’t get the hot dogs, ‘cuz we don’t really like them, but did give the coupon to a guy who looked like he’d appreciate it – and he did seem pretty happy to receive it.) When all was said and done, I think I probably got at least fifty bucks worth of free stuff. Now what kind of pessimist says that nothing in life is free?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, but it wasn't free. By using the coupons that you did use you gave up the option of not using the coupons and giving them to someone else. Thus, you exchanged your choice to give them away for the free stuff.

Okay, I've hung out too long with my philosophy major friend. :)

Dan

Amy K said...

Hmmm . . . and I guess you could also argue that I spent my precious time to go collect all this stuff - so it definitely wasn't free. I guess the only free thing in life is our salvation through Christ - a free gift from God. But, then again, although it was free for US, it cost Christ an awful lot, his very life in fact. So, maybe nothing in life is free afterall! Bummer. I hate coming to these sorts of realizations. -Amy

Anonymous said...

Well, just because something isn't free, doesn't mean that it isn't cost effective. For example, there was a local car dealership that was running a contest. You bring in the code they mailed you and you won a prize. The lowest prize was $5. Yes, I used gas, but I don't think I was really doing anything that night anyway so the cost of my time was negligible. Assuming that the dealership was 2 miles away, that would make it a four mile trip. My car gets probably about 25 mpg city and let's assume that gas was $2.40 a gallon. That means it cost me 19.2 cents plus maybe 20 minutes of my time to gross $5. Not free, but definitely worth it.

-Dan

Kevin said...

Well, Dan, it looks to me like you spent the remaining $2.60 just typing about it. ;^)