Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Ditch-Digging, Etcetera

Kev’s parents just left after spending a 3 ½ day weekend with us. Early Saturday morning (well, okay, it was probably 8:30), I looked outside the front window and saw that Kevin and Dale had dug a ditch, approximately two feet deep, all across the length of our front yard. In the process of working to beautify the yard, they discovered some “drainage issues.” By the end of the day, they had to tear out part of the fence separating the front yard from the back yard. By Monday, they had dug up much of the back yard also and installed a new drainage system. The poor guys were covered in mud from head to toe. It was, actually, really cute. Hopefully now the problems are fixed and we can throw some grass seed out there and watch it grow. I think the whole thing was a really good “bonding time” for father and son. And we definitely appreciate all the work that Kevin’s dad did for us!

While the guys worked their tails off on Saturday and Monday, Laura and I, aside from tending to the guys’ hunger needs, were pretty much lazy bums. Laura did teach me to knit a little bit, though. That was fun. I’d like to learn more – if I have the patience for it. I was really annoyed at the fact that after you buy yarn at the store you’re expected to make a ball out of it before you knit with it. I just don’t understand why they don’t sell the yarn already in balls. This is the 21st century. You’d think they’d get with the program. (Maybe I wouldn’t have been so annoyed if I was good at making yarn balls. The problem is I really stink at it – the yarn threads were always too tight and I couldn’t pull my string out!)

In the evenings, when we could reclaim the guys from their projects, we played Euchre (the ultimate Midwest card game) and went to Starbucks just to hang out and enjoy the ambiance and conversation. We also made Dale watch The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood one night, the epitome of a girl-movie. He’s such a trooper – he does back-breaking work in our yard and then how do we repay him??

1 comment:

quizwedge said...

Kevin finally got to dig the hole he talked about when you first moved in!

-Dan