Monday, November 15, 2004

Stricken and Afflicted

Maybe I’m being overly dramatic but this weekend was pretty low for me. I hate it when people are constantly categorizing their lives (i.e., every day was either a bad day or a good day, etc.) but this weekend can definitely fall into the not-so-good category. My head cold got consistently worse until Saturday morning when I was ready to call urgent care (a very drastic measure for me). To make a long (and boring) story short, with a lot of sleep and Echinacea, I think I’m finally on the mend. [Insert big sigh of relief.]

But, leave it to me, there were also “high” points this weekend. Kevin and I learned how to play Spades with only two people. If you’re interested in trying it, you can go here and this website will explain it to you. Last night we played a very heated game. It was close but I finally managed to pull ahead, much to Kevin’s chagrin. I like Spades because it’s a game of risk – the more you bid, the more you have to win and lose.

We also rented three movies. The Prince and Me was very lame. If you want to waste a couple hours of your life on it, go ahead. Mystic River was very sad and unsettling, but well made. The Italian Job was awesome. We loved every minute of it and highly recommend it, if you haven’t already seen it.

Another fun thing this weekend . . . Kevin started reading a book out loud to me called The Bears of Blue River. It’s about a little boy named Balser and his adventures in the backwoods of Indiana with various bears he encounters. I’m immensely looking forward to the next chapter.

Lest you think that we were total slackers this weekend, Kevin finished grading and seeding the backyard on Saturday. I’ve been popping my head outside every couple hours to see if the grass is growing yet. Kevin tells me to hold my horse, as it will be at least a few weeks. Bummer!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever since Michael and I watched The Italian Job, I've been noticing Mini Coopers on the road. I SO want one of those cars!

~Rose

Anonymous said...

Amy, I'm disappointed that you would enjoy a movie that promotes such evil values! The Italian Job is all about crime and robbery; is this the worldview that you promote on this blog? I'm afraid that your children will one day be terribly conflicted--"Oh, mommy, can we watch that movie about the cool men stealing things again?"

Here's hoping that you see more wholesome movies in the future....

-Mike R.

Anonymous said...

Don't mind Mike, he's not been feeling very well. ;-)

I'm curious as to why you thought Prince and Me was lame. I've heard a variety of comments, but mostly favorable. - SEM

Amy K said...

Well, Sarah, I should let Kevin have the floor as to why The Prince and Me was "lame." He was groaning for practically the entire movie. I thought there were several almost-redeemable parts but, at the end, they didn't suffice.

It was basically very hokey and predictable. It was the same old Cinderella-like story that's been plagiarized and poorly rehashed . . . over and over and over again. In addition, I really didn't like the Prince. He was a playboy-type character whom I didn't really connect with or appreciate.

The lowest point came when Paige (the girl) went to Denmark to find the prince. We were wondering how she would find him - even one of her friends asked: "So are you just going to go to the castle and say 'Hey, I'd like to see the prince?'" When she shows up in Denmark, there's a royal parade. She, of course, is lost in the crowd, as the prince rides by on his horse. Then, suddenly, one of the bystanders recognizes her picture from one of the tabloids and yells, "Look, it's Paige!" Another bystander also yells her name. Suddenly the whole crowd is chanting, "Paige, Paige, Paige." This, of course, gets Princey's attention and, when their eyes meet, their faces light up and . . . the rest is history. It was just VERY cheesy.

Another part that really bothered us was that they showed a scene of Wisconsin countryside, supposedly at Thanksgiving time, but there are full, green trees everywhere. I'm not a rocket scientist but I KNOW that's NOT what Wisconsin looks like at the end of November.

There is more . . . but I won't bore you with any more details. I think I've covered the basic reasons why we didn't like it. Trust me, I like a good, romantic chick flick now and then (and so does Kevin) but this was just really BAD.

-Amy

the Joneses said...

Mike recommends, as wholesome alternatives, "Treasures of the Snow" or "Sheffy." He and Rachelle watch them every weekend while eating whole-wheat, carob-chip muffins, after which they play Character Clues. No wonder you've been sick. Neither immune systems nor morals can withstand compromise. -- SJ

jph said...

I'm assuming you are referring to the Italian Job remake from last year? I agree; great movie. You should also watch the original from 1969, if you haven't. For you Mini Cooper fans, they're just as hot in the '69 version.