Thursday, January 06, 2005

Amazing!

This morning was my first official OB appointment. Kevin went with me. He said he felt awkward ‘cuz he was the only male in the waiting room. Speaking of which . . . The waiting room of this particular doctor’s office deserves special mention in this blog. I’ve never seen anything like it. You know how, typically, doctor’s offices are painted a sterile vanilla color with boxy-shaped furniture? Well, walking into this doctor’s office makes me feel like I’m going to visit a kindly, sweet grandmother. There’s floral wallpaper, stained oak trim, plaid couches, and winged-back chairs to sit on. It’s rather nice, actually.

I really like my doctor. (It was a shot in the dark when I picked her out of a directory. Although, I did call her office to first make sure they don’t do abortions.) She’s very easy-going and has a cute personality. Much to everyone’s relief (I’m sure), I won’t go into detail about the exam. Although, I will say . . . if you’re a man, be grateful you will never, ever experience a pap smear.

Today we actually got to hear the heartbeat for the first time. Although I’ve heard other people talk about how powerful this experience is, I honestly wasn’t quite prepared for how overwhelming and exciting it would be. My first thought was, “It’s alive!” (Lately I’ve had these recurring doubts about whether or not I’m really pregnant because I’ve been feeling very “normal.”) Anyway, I simply cannot describe to you with mere words how amazing it was to hear this little whoosh-whoosh-whoosh sound coming through the Doppler.

Just when we thought the appointment was over, the nurse told us that the doctor wanted to do an ultrasound. I immediately wondered if something was wrong because my insurance only pays for “medically necessary” ultrasounds, in addition to one done at 20 weeks. The nurse said that nothing was wrong: “The doctor wants to do it ‘just for fun’ and we won’t turn it in to your insurance.”

If I thought I wasn’t prepared to hear a heartbeat, I definitely wasn’t prepared to see the actual image of my child swimming around in utero. It was captivating, breathtaking, and unbelievable. It was also a very emotional experience. My first thought was: “How can anyone not be pro-life after seeing something like this?”

I think the reality of what awaits us next July has finally sunk in. Oh my gosh . . . I’m going to be a mom!

7 comments:

Rachelle said...

Oh wow, I remember hearing that first heartbeat. We both were shocked at our emotions--that was the first moment I recall being excited. And MJR went to all of my appts but two. Kevin, go every chance you get. It means so much to have your husband there. And I think MJR was much more prepared (along with birth classes) for the arrival than most. -rlr

Queen of Carrots said...

I made my post-natal checkup at the same time I was making an appointment for DOB to have a physical--somehow the nurse got the two confused and asked if he would need a pap smear. My doctor is great, but her staff is really, really dumb.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, how exciting. Next time you see my great niece or nephew, tell him/her I love them already! Love, Aunt B.

Anonymous said...

Like I said at X-mas, "if men were the ones to have kids,...there would have been only one..."
Keep us informed on ur progress... Uncle Mike

Megan said...

Ok. Tears. Real tears.

I'm so excited!! :)

Yah, so you get to be parents. I get to be an aunt that spoils the kids rotten, gets them all wired on sugar and fun ... and then send them back to you. Glorious.

Angel said...

Amy, I really am so thrilled for you both. :) Your post is adorable, by the way--*you're* adorable. All of these "first parent" things must be such fun to experience! You make me quite envious. :) --Angel

Rose said...

Wow! Isn't it exciting? And no matter how prepared you are, and how many pictures of babies in utero you may have seen, seeing it live for the first time and realising that's YOUR child makes it more real and astounding than ever before. =) Best wishes for continued health for you and Baby!