Thursday, January 27, 2005

Don't Drink Water; Drink Pepsi Instead

One of Kevin’s mantras is that you don’t have to drink 6-8 glasses of water a day to be healthy – and if anyone tries to convince you otherwise, it’s a hoax. He says that your body will tell you when you need more hydration by making you thirsty.

Throughout our several years of marriage, he has pointed out different authorities (sometimes even medical professionals and nutritionists) who agree with him. Most recently, he found this factoid on an MSN quiz:

“6. Everyone should drink eight glasses of water a day to stay healthy and properly hydrated. True or False?

The right answer is false. While it's a good idea to drink plenty of water, there is no scientific or medical basis for the specific amount of eight glasses per day. Water intake needs vary from person to person, depending on age, size and amount of physical activity. We can also get water from food and other beverages, so we don't necessarily need to get all of our fluids in the form of drinking water.”

One of the things that attracted me to Kevin is that he thinks independently. If my doctor told me to drink eight glasses of water a day, I would probably determine to just “do it.” Kevin, on the other hand, will find reasons why the doctor might be wrong. Gotta love the guy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is truly enlightening. Now I don't need to feel guilty for so rarely making my quota of eight glasses of water a day!

~Rose

Queen of Carrots said...

Hmm, now my husband takes it the opposite way entirely--he doesn't think anyone emphasizes drinking water enough. He considers it the first-stop cure for any problem--fatigue, headache, or the blahs in general. It actually works surprisingly well. I can't believe how much more water I drink now and how lousy I feel when I don't. (Of course, being pregnant and nursing has probably upped my requirements significantly.)

the Joneses said...

Actually, I usually don't get thirsty. I've had to learn other ways my body asks for water, like sudden fatigue and irritability. I actually need an outside reminder to drink something, or I'll dehydrate without realizing it.

I blame it on my public school days when I regimented my system not to need water or go to the bathroom throughout the day, but to wait till I got home.

But, as to the point of your post, men with thought-out and unorothodox opinions are terribly attractive. I married one, too! -- SJ

Angel said...

Amy, this is so funny, because I distinctly remember one time, back when Kevin and I were HSLDA interns, when he was giving me a hard time for not drinking enough water! I exasperatedly argued with him (to no avail) that because I was smaller than he was, I didn't *need* as much water as he did and not *everyone* has to drink 6-8 glasses of water per day.

I must confess, I never thought I'd see the day when I would be "right" about something upon which Kevin and I once disagreed. He was almost always right about things. *grin*