Tuesday, January 11, 2005

"Oh," said the librarian to me . . .

. . . “Someone’s expecting a baby.” How did she know this? Maybe it was the fact that I was checking out four different books on baby names. . . and that gave her a clue.

At this point, we’re more nervous about naming a kid than raising one. When I was a child, I named all of my baby dolls “Clara.” It was my favorite name ever. But since I haven’t given much thought to baby names (or baby doll names) since my early girlhood, I went to the library today and loaded up on reading material.

One book is called 35,000 Baby Names. If I can’t find at least one (or two) in there that I like, it’s probably hopeless for me. Do you think? Another one is called Celtic Names for Children. I picked this one up since we tend to like names from the Northern Brittish Isles. Another one (that I’d heard of before) is called Beyond Jason and Jennifer. The last one I picked up looks like it will be totally impractical but completely fun. For that reason, I think I’ll read it first. It’s called The Language of Names: What We Call Ourselves and Why It Matters. A few facts on the cover of the book enamored me when I read them:

- People named Junior appear to be more likely to end up in mental institutions than those not named for their fathers.

- The names Wendy and Vanessa were invented, respectively, by J.M. Barrie and Jonathan Swift.

- American citizens have the right to choose any name they want, as long as it isn’t offensive or taken for some unlawful purpose.

- The current most popular name for Hispanic and Asian infant boys in New York City, San Francisco, and California is Kevin. (Ha!)

- The malapropian movie mogul Samuel Goldwyn (born Gelbfisz, which means “Goldfish”) is said to have told a friend, “Why did you name your baby John? Every Tom, Dick, and Harry is named John!”

- Ever since Plato, philosophers have been trying to decide just what a name is. They still can’t agree.

It appears that I have some fun reading ahead of me! See you in a few weeks. (Just kidding.)

10 comments:

CABeachBlonde said...

I have friends who named their children Ocean, Ellie-Bella and Jean ... as well as two friends named Sunshine. Hey, if you go with original names, you're child will always be remembered ... :) If it's a girl you could always name her Virginia-- it has milestone meaning to you're new family. :) Or, you could do what my mom did and name your child after a T.V. character you like ... I'm sure the book might mention it, but, as I learned, uniqueness makes you feel special ... :)

Angel said...

Before Dan and I were married I jokingly chose several "good, strong Virginian" names which I told him I was going to insist upon using when we started our family. They were, to name several: Shenandoah, Edward Lee, Jefferson and of course Virginia. ;) Of course I doubt I'll actually get to use any of those names, but it sure is a fun subject to think about, isn't it? Happy reading! :)

Rachelle said...

When you find a few you like, go on www.behindthename.com and be certain you know what they mean. It is amazing how we become like our names. E.g. KEVIN
Gender: Masculine
Usage: English, Irish
Pronounced: KEV-in
Anglicized form of the Irish name Caoimhín, derived from the older Irish Coemgen, composed of the Old Irish elements coem "kind, gentle, handsome" and gein "birth". Saint Caoimhin established a monastery in Ireland and is the patron saint of Dublin.
AMY
Gender: Feminine
Usage: English
Pronounced: AY-mee
Derived from Old French aimée meaning "beloved".

Amy K said...

Thanks for the link, Rachelle. I'll definitely check it out. I agree with you - the meaning of a name is very significant. -AK

Anonymous said...

Just remember the State Board of Health says that you do not have to name a child for 1 year (at least in Indiana). Although, it would be quite sad to not have a name on your first birthday! Brandon was 5 days old before he was named! Take your time....it's a big decision. Love, Aunt B.

quizwedge said...

So many things to comment on...

"Just remember the State Board of Health says that you do not have to name a child for 1 year (at least in Indiana)."

Wasn't there an old TV show about dinosaurs (I think it was simply called Dinosaurs) where the baby was just named baby for the reason that they couldn't think of a name in time?

"uniqueness makes you feel special"

This is true, but make sure that your child can spell their name easily enough. Growing up, I loved only having to write seven letters when other friends had to write many more. I pitty the first grader who has to write Maximillian Matthew even though the meaning, "the greatest gift of God", is pretty cool.

Finally, I'd recommend http://www.babynames.com/. You can search based on gender, nationality, or even meaning. This is how I named my fish, my car, and my last laptop.

What's that you say? Who names their laptop? Hold on a second, I share a name with my father and I think I see some men in white coats coming for me.

Anonymous said...

Saw you on Marla's Hamper...and came to see your site...esp. after seeing you had met while working for HSLDA...whom we supported during our homeschooling years!

As to child naming...please be kind and do not give the child a hard to spell, hard to pronounce, weird name in general, or one with the initials that spell out something not so nice. We named our children very common names (Randy,Amy, Julie), as I had been called by my middle name and hated it and how others treated me with having such a name while growing up...why they could not use my first name (Elizabeth) I do not know...but when we moved last, I switched to Elizabeth. Having a strange name can definitely give a shy child as I was, a very big complex! Kids love to tease other kids as it is...no need to provide the amunition!

Enjoy your pregnancy...it is indeed a blessed time and I hope you will be a nursing mom too...I nursed my 3 a total of 6 years all together...and I still miss that closeness that you have when nursing a child. Plus it is the lazy way to do things anyway! La Leche League was a great help to me when I had my 2nd child...did not nurse very long with the first one.
Elizabeth

Carrie said...

Of course, Amy, this would be a lot easier if you'd just let one of us name your child. Then you could throw the blame for cruelty, humor or meaning on someone else. Escapism. It's the way to go.

the Joneses said...

Clara is a great name. Clara Koons is cute, if you don't mind alliteration, which one-half of the parental population in our household does, and it isn't the one who had at least *four* favorite J names before getting married.

Babycenter.com used to have a name poll every day, where expectant parents posted their current name choices and people chose their favorites. Only, don't post your own choices; some people get really snarky about it. But it's fun to see what interesting... and frightening -- possibilities people come up with.

I reiterate the above cautions about strange spellings. Be creative in areas besides your child's future identity. :) -- SJ

Anonymous said...

Yes, looking at baby names is so much fun. We can't decide on middle names for girls though. :-P Your baby is due just a couple of months before ours is, such fun!