Friday, January 27, 2006

Amy comes to realization she will likely never win best of bakeoff …

More and more, I’m realizing that I’m a loser baker. Cooking is an art I enjoy. Baking is mostly a science. Baking requires too much exactness to suit me. I don’t have the patience required to excel at it. I don’t like to “cut-in cold butter” when I can nuke it for five seconds. I don’t like to measure “level” cups and teaspoons. I don’t like to sift things. It takes too long. And I’ve found that chocolate tastes pretty much the same if you melt it in the microwave vs. melting it in a double boiler.

Last night after bible study I started making a couple of tarts. I almost forgot that I’d volunteered to make desserts for a group of local pastors meeting at our church this weekend. The tarts had to be dropped off late this morning.

With the first crust, I took too many shortcuts and it didn’t turn out (it was too soggy to press into the pan). With the second crust, I accidentally turned it upside down into the hot oven after it had finished baking. That was at 11 o’clock at night. I spent the next thirty minutes cleaning out the oven and, in the process, burned my wrist fairly badly.

At that point, I felt like the pastors were going to be lucky to get store-bought cookies.

But I decided, in the end, to start making a third crust, which thankfully turned out okay. (And fortunately I happened to have the ingredients on hand to do this.)

Baking tries me. It really does. But since I like sugar so much, it’s a necessity for me to bake. So I guess I’ll just have to keep on keeping on.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Yes!! I am not alone. When I tell people I don't bake, but I love to cook, they look at me like I'm from another planet. But you are right.... I can alter nearly anything in a cooking recipe and I usually do. When I do it in baking, something always goes wrong. And I don't have the patience for sifting or cutting in butter or anything like that.... I love bakeries. rlr

Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

I'm now reliving countless episodes of ruined pie crusts, inch high yeast breads, gooey sweet breads even flopped cookies and it's not pretty.