Monday, January 09, 2006

While the Man Is Out

Tonight Kevin is gone for the evening. I’m not used to being home alone at night. I pretty much hate being home alone at night.

At first I had grand plans for being really productive. Then I found Lemmings on the Internet.

Then I made a chocolate espresso cake. I don’t even like cake so don’t ask me why I did this. I do like batter, however. So maybe that’s why I did it.

And, since no one (i.e., Kevin) was home to tell me how bad it was to do it, I ate chocolate espresso batter and cake for dinner. Hee, hee.

Then I sat and watched a trail of ants go from an opening in our bathroom sink, across the countertop, and to a crack behind our bathroom mirror.

We’ve had an ant problem in our house lately and both Kev and I have been very put-off by it. One evening I tightly wrapped some leftover cornbread in foil and placed it in the pantry. The next morning there were thousands of ants crawling all over the foil.

That’s how bad it is. Every time we think we’ve wiped out every last ant that exists inside our house and at least a ten-foot perimeter around our house, they always come back the next day.

You know what I’ve learned during all of this? I’ve learned that although ants are very industrious, determined, and hard-working, they are also very dumb.

What other kind of species could witness thousands of their brothers and sisters be completely annihilated by poison and then spread the word to the rest of their friends and neighbors that they should all come back the next day because there’s a piece of cornbread lying out???

As I watched the trail of ants in our bathroom, I spotted the Queen Ant marching alongside the rest of them. And I’m happy to report that I quickly grabbed a wad of toilet paper and victoriously killed her.

Sigh … I can’t wait for my husband to come home. In the meantime, I’m going to make sure I seal-up that chocolate espresso cake very, very tightly.

3 comments:

Rose said...

Ugh! We had an ant invasion a few months ago, and it was perturbing how doggedly those ants marched to their death. I was so mad when I had to throw out half a jar of peanut butter they swarmed. We finally conquered them by repeated sprayings of ant poison at any likely opening inside and out, constant vacuuming and wiping the counters down, and storing all food either in airtight tupperware or in the fridge.

Anonymous said...

Too bad ant colonies have multiple queens. :-D

Nica said...

Oh man, I haven't played Lemmings in years! My uncle had the original computer version: I thought it was so cool when I was 9. ;-)