Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Just when I was ready to quit ...

Several times in the past few months I’ve threatened to quit M.O.P.S. because I’ve felt like my life is out of control and I probably don’t have time for it anyway. There have been two weeks in particular that I’ve felt like skipping—the meeting right before Christmas and today’s meeting.

Ironically, the two meetings I felt I didn’t have time for, but went ahead and attended anyway, turned out to be the biggest blessings to me.

At each of these two meetings I was very encouraged, felt very loved and supported by my new girlfriends, and heard messages from amazing speakers who really made me think more practically about my walk with God.

Today the speaker talked about busy moms making times for devotions. She had a lot of good things to say, helping me to think creatively about fitting this essential thing into my overloaded day. She reminded me how important it is for Meredith to see me walking closely with God and how vital it is for me to teach Meredith to walk with God too.

I’ve been having tremendous guilt lately for having hit-and-miss personal devotions and a practically non-existent prayer life. Several times during the session today I felt near tears, thinking about how I need to be better. Yet, along with the conviction, came the reassurance that it’s okay to be honest about what my life is like right now. Devotions aren’t about trying to impress God or earn favor with Him. He created this phase of my life and understands my heart. God knows how genuinely crazy my days can be—like the fact that sometimes I don’t get a shower until 2 p.m. because I haven’t had the chance. Thinking about all these things made me nearly tear up again.

(Yeah, I know, I’m a hormonal pregnant woman right now. Give me grace!)

Anyway, I’m encouraged to stick with M.O.P.S. God has me there for a reason. The more I think about it, the more I realize that it’s absolutely necessary for my mental and emotional health right now. And I’m definitely glad for the much-needed spiritual encouragement too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had such an encouraging meeting. Definitely don't feel bad about the late shower thing - that is my problem more days than not, and I doubt it will get any better any time soon! What were some of the things they said about fitting in devotions? That's hard for me too - most days I try to do it while Hannah is eating her breakfast in her high chair, but it's often tough to concentrate in between picking up the sippy cup 687 times and supplying refills on Cheerios!

the Joneses said...

My pastor's wife says that moms get "a spiritual buffet." You get a little when you have time, then go back for more when you have more time.

-- SJ

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way, especially about my prayer life. Often times I'm struck with shame when I think, "Lord, when have I last spent more than 5 minutes with you in prayer?" Take heart. You're doing a great job. :)

Amy K said...

Tips – If you’re still even checking this post, Catherine.  Sorry! Did I say I’m busy??

The speaker was big into Maximizing Sermon Impact, because the weekly church service is one big way for us to grow through God’s word, purposing to set aside 15 minutes twice a week to read next week’s sermon scriptures, think about it, write down questions, etc. And then after the sermon, in the next few days, take 15 minutes again to re-read, meditate further, etc. This helps to guide moms on what to study if they feel lost and also 15 minutes twice a week feels more doable.

She was big into index cards, containing scripture verses and suggested purposing to read the scriptures twice a day, once to yourself and once out loud to your children. Eventually you WILL memorize them. She suggested putting one in a zip-loc in your shower.

Remember that times doing dishes and laundry can be great times for prayer! Turn off the TV. Take advantage of times in the car with scripture on tape, or scripture songs. Or take time in the car to pray.

Remember to pray out loud with your children, quick prayers, throughout the day to teach them God is relevant to everything in their life and we should constantly seek Him and thank Him.

Reading Bible stories to your children (just as we read other books) and reminding them that they need to be obedient like Noah and brave like David, etc.

Those are some things off the top of my head. If I review my notes and see something else life-changing I’ll let you know. 

Amy

Amy K said...

Those "box things" were supposed to be smileys. (Ooops.) Not that it really matters I was just surprised to see boxes. :-D

Amy

Rebecca said...

Devotions are something I'm working on too. It's so hard to find alone time or even just a little quiet time. I agree that God knows exactly where mothers are at, aren't we doing his work in raising our children? And the shower thing, there have been some days when I don't get a shower until 9pm.

Anonymous said...

Amy, thanks for posting the tips - those are great things to work on!