Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Yearning

Today is the type of day I wish I could sit somewhere near a window, read a good book, and periodically look outside at the beautiful falling snow. Unfortunately there is no time for that luxury today.

This morning Kevin tried to make me excited about the blanket of white on the ground but I was too groggy. It wasn’t until he left for work that I really started to appreciate it.

But like I said, today will be too busy to spend very much time taking it in.

Here’s something for my hall of shame. I still haven’t unpacked from our trip yet!! I’m just now starting laundry. Meredith has been sick and wants to be held constantly. Today is the first day she’s seemed more autonomous. Plus, I have a work deadline fast approaching and that tends to take first priority around here.

I’ve never been a working-outside-the-home mom, and I’m sure that brings its own set of challenges, but my theory is that it’s just as difficult, if not more difficult, to be a mom working from home. The reason is because all your spheres of duty overlap and intertwine. I often find myself having to juggle everything at once vs. being able to leave one thing at home and escape to an office where I can sit at a desk with limited interruption.

So, anyway, I’m not trying to gripe right now. But working at home with a toddler, and trying to meet a deadline, is a really difficult thing at times.

Okay, off to do laundry. Maybe in between trips from upstairs to the basement, where the washer and dryer are located, I can catch glimpses of that beautiful falling snow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right about working from home vs. the office. I have a little side sewing business, not to really compare that to your legal work, but still it does require some "alone" time every day. There have been several times that I've had to call in back ups to be able to meet deadlines. Wait until you have two :).

There are many days when I feel like I would like to get away in an office, but of course I, like you, wouldn't trade this time for anything in the world!

Hope you are feeling well! Pregnancy sick with a toddler is the WORST!

Anonymous said...

It's tough sometimes, I agree! Especially with all the interruptions.

However, on the flip side, I often think what a blessing it is to be able to work/learn/fill-in-the-blank from home alongside raising my son. The so-called Mommy Wars end at my front door because I've been able to blend these two things: learning/working from home and caring for my family. They don't have to be necessarily exclusive.

The Johnson Family Adventures said...

Wow--you're amazing! I can barely keep up with life as it is, and I don't work from home! Hope your morning sickness is better. It was fun to see you when you came out!
~Katie