Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hidden Forms of Exercise

Over the weekend I was inspired to do some Spring Cleaning. I got online, took a look at Martha Stewart’s spring cleaning checklist, and quickly became uninspired.

Who has time to vacuum all their mattresses and dust every single book on their shelf?

I was lucky to get my windows clean! It took about two hours and I figure that I burned 400 calories. I found this handy-dandy chart online that tells me I’m exercising even when I don’t think I am. I love it!

Staying Fit—Hidden forms of exercise

Ever wonder why you're huffing and puffing after vacuuming? It's because you're burning about 200 calories an hour! Here are some other daily activities that can get your heart going and make your body stronger.

• Kissing: 58 calories an hour
• Playing with a toddler: 216 calories an hour
• Washing windows: 200 calories an hour
• Walking the dog: 238 calories an hour
• Gardening: 324 calories an hour
• Heavy cleaning: 432 calories an hour

5 comments:

Kevin said...

Interesting. I would think for certain that playing with a toddler burns more calories than walking a dog.

Queen of Carrots said...

Just being in the same room as a toddler has to burn a ton of calories.

Alaina said...

Perhaps it depends on the size and energy of the dog. :) I love that list!

Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

I already feel better about my day :0)

Anonymous said...

Now does the "Kissing" statistic include calories burned from increased cardiac muscle contractions?