Friday, April 27, 2007

Irrational Fear

Meredith has suddenly—overnight—decided that she is afraid of her diaper changing table. Whenever we put her up there she kicks and screams and claws at us with sheer, authentic terror in her eyes. We cannot understand what has gotten into her. Whenever we approach the table, she starts crying, “No! Fall off! Change on ground! Change you floor!” If we set her on the floor, she runs over to where the carpet is, in the hallway, and lays down to wait for us to join her.

She’s not the type of kid who is ordinarily fearful. She normally doesn’t mind heights. Like I said, we cannot understand her sudden fear of being up on the changing table.

We wonder if something happened that we don’t know about. Maybe she fell off the changing table at the MOPS group or at the church nursery. I’ll have to ask around to see if anyone knows about this. Until then, I’ll just be puzzled by it.

Maybe potty training time will come sooner than I thought. She refuses to let us put her on the fold out table in public restrooms and I’m certainly not going to change her on the public restroom floor!

Another reason potty training time might come sooner … Meredith spotted an “Elmo potty” in the Babies R Us catalogue (she loves to look through this catalogue whenever it comes in the mail) and daddy promised he’d buy it for her if she was good to sit still in church for four Sundays in a row. Every time she hears the words “good girl,” “church” or “shopping,” she pipes up, “Elmo potty!” How could we forget? It just so happens that this coming Sunday is the fourth Sunday.

6 comments:

Rose said...

What is it with little girls and Elmo?? Jane has never watched Sesame Street, but recently we've befriended a little girl who absolutely loves Elmo. She has Elmo everything, and now Jane sees Elmo everywhere and loves him too.

Anonymous said...

Could it have been a dream she had? Maybe she dreamed about falling off a changing table. That is very puzzling indeed!

Out of curiosity - what is your philosophy on when to take kids to the dentist? Seems kind of early to be doing it at this time, yet it's been brought up enough times I wanted to do some polling.

Anonymous said...

Kalea has a few quirks like that. No biggie. Hey, you know what, I've had a "comments" button on my blog now for almost a year, and I've heard from virtually everyone I know except you! And what's ironic is that you are the one who suggested I get a comments button in the first place! I hope you know that I expect to hear from you at least once. Don't flake and be an ENTP on me. ;-) (jk) Take care.

Alaina said...

In response to ajr (hope you don't mind)...the "official" recommendation is usually to take your kids when they have their first teeth. I usually recommend to patients (I'm a hygienist) that they bring their kids in around age 2 unless you are concerned about something before that. It's just really good to get them used to the dentist early and to make sure their teeth are healthy.

Now that I've said that, I really need to get my kids in for their 1st visits! :)

Anonymous said...

The suspense is killing me. Was Meredith good for her 4th time at church and therefore, is she now the proud owner of an Elmo potty?
Inquiring minds want to know....Aunt K

Amy K said...

AJR-I would listen to what Alaina said, since she's the professional. :) I hate to admit but I feel guilty for not even brushing Meredith's teeth as regularly as I should, let alone taking her to the dentist. We probably should take her in sometime soon, though, to get her used to the idea.

Aunt K--Kevin felt that Meredith was not a good girl in church so we're going to have her wait one more week. I don't think we'll make her wait longer than that, though, because she has no concept of time and she's already waited a long time. So, maybe the Elmo Potty isn't a reward. It's just something that was destined to be hers when she spotted it in the catalogue.

--Amy