Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Child's Prayer and Hope for Mom

Meredith’s prayers are getting longer and reflecting more of her own heart. I’m so grateful that Kevin has consistently taught her to pray about personal things, by guiding her words at first during mealtimes and family worship. Now she prays spontaneously about things that are important to her and things that are on her mind, without much, if any, prompting. We serve a God who wants a personal relationship with us. It makes my heart glad to see Meredith personalize her prayers.

The other day she said, “Father God, thank you for daddy getting spit-up [the flu], and then getting no spit-up anymore [he got better]. Thank you for mommy and Clara. She’s just a little baby. I love you. Amen. And thank you for eggs! Amen.”

Often Meredith says, “I’m sorry for my sins, please forgive me.” Yesterday, however, she said, “Thank you for my sins.” Oops.

She also prays about random things she does during the day. I love hearing this because I know we serve a God who actually cares about things a child does. She always thanks God for the “Chillseum” [Children’s museum] whenever she goes, for instance.

The other day she said, “Thank you for Meredith. She is soooo obedient.”

It’s scary to be a parent because I know there are so many things I could do wrong, without even realizing it. And it’s not just the things I do, it’s the things I might not do. Should I be doing more? It’s the omissions I’m worried about more than anything else. Am I doing enough to help Meredith and Clara reach their potential?

I guess I’m encouraged by these prayers because it reminds me that there’s really only one thing that’s ultimately important—encouraging my children to love God and walk with Him. If I can do that, then the rest doesn’t matter quite so much.

8 comments:

Catherine said...

You're absolutely right. That's a good point to remember!

Rebecca said...

It is scary to have the job of raising well adjusted, balanced children. Isn't it exciting to see the little things that let you know God is working in their hearts!

Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

I think hearing a child pray is one of the best sounds in the world...especially when it's your own. I really enjoyed this post and the good reminder on the priority of parenting.

Kevin Swan said...

Thank you for my sins... See, she's reformed--recognizing the sovereign hand of God, even in her sinning!

Alaina said...

The first time my boys prayed out loud, it brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful expression of thankfulness. They still need some guidance and we don't understand much of what they say, but they are so excited about it! Sometimes we pray multiple times in a meal because they initiate it!

the Joneses said...

Maybe Reformed, or maybe just a good Thomist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_culpa

:)

--DJ

Kevin Swan said...

Maybe she's leaning towards Mormonism? You better straighten this girl out, Kevin!

(from wikipeda)

Due to the fall, Adam and Eve also came to know the difference between good and evil and became capable of having children, as God had originally commanded.[26]

Unlike some Christians, Latter-day Saints generally do not see the fall as a serious sin or as an overwhelmingly negative event. Rather, the fall is viewed as "a necessary step in the plan of life and a great blessing to all of us. Because of the Fall, we are blessed with physical bodies, the right to choose between good and evil, and the opportunity to gain eternal life. None of these privileges would have been ours had Adam and Eve remained in the garden."[26]

Latter-day scripture reports that Adam and Eve later rejoiced that they had chosen to partake of the fruit,[28] and the Book of Mormon teaches that the fall was necessary for humankind to exist and for them to experience joy, which is the ultimate purpose of existence.[29]

Anonymous said...

I know I really hate mormons too!