Monday, November 12, 2007

Menu Plan Monday

Okay, several friends are posting their weekly menus now and this has inspired me to try to do it too. I'm always looking for good menu ideas and new recipes! Menu planning is something I’ve done since the week after the honeymoon. But sharing with others is new ... and fun! :)

Here's my plug for why you should figure out a weekly menu and go to the store with a written grocery list: menu planning 1) saves money (you don't buy unecessary stuff), 2) avoids stress and the "5 o'clock dread," and 3) you eat healthier and more delicious food.

Because of Kevin’s school schedule (i.e., he’s gone a couple of nights and usually on Saturdays), I rarely cook more than 4-5 times per week. So I’ll probably have some carry over for next week. But here goes!

Monday:
Baked Potato Soup
Orchard Salad (greens, apples, pears, cheddar, cider vinaigrette)

Tuesday:
Roast chicken w/ Risotto & Carmelized Onions
Creamy au gratin potatoes
(need to use up the 15 lb. bag)*
Vegetables

Wednesday:
Real Italian Calzones (I'm cheating this week and using premade pizza dough!)
Marinara dipping sauce
Green salad

Thursday:
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Noodles
Broccoli

Friday or Saturday:
Tortellini and Sun Dried Tomato Soup (from Cooking Light book)
Crusty bread

Breakfast (either Sat. or Sun.):
French Breakfast Muffins
Egg, cheese and chives omelets
Fresh fruit

Dessert (for whenever I feel like it this week!):
Rich Lemon Cake w/ lemon glaze


The tortellini soup, muffins, and lemon cake are new recipes. The rest are old favorites.

Check out I'm an Organzing Junkie for more menu plans!


*The 15 lb. bag of potatoes was $2.78 and the 5 lb. bag was $3.99. So, what was I supposed to buy?

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Can we come over and eat at your house this week?

You made my mouth water!

Actually, this week being the first official cold and rain, I'm inspired to cook fall foods and went and bought a 10 pound bag of sweet potatoes. I'm not sure EXACTLY what I was thinking, but they ARE delicious....

Rose said...

Potatoes go bad so quickly that I hate buying them in quantities, but it's usually only the big bags that go on sale. Hooray for mashed potatoes!

Thanks for all the links! I'll have to try some of those.

Alaina said...

I'm so glad you joined in! Your menu looks great - I really want to try some risoto after having it at class last week! Hope you have a wonderful week.