Friday, November 02, 2007

Save Time and Money


Some day I will know I have “arrived” when I feel like I don’t have to shop at WalMart for groceries. The reason I frequently shop at WalMart for groceries is because it significantly cuts our grocery bill. Generally I don’t buy produce there because the quality is not as good but I have noticed that the produce selection at my local WalMart is getting better. They are starting to sell fresh herbs that appear to be in surprisingly good condition.

The only place here in Indianapolis that sells groceries cheaper than WalMart is a place called Aldi’s.

Here are the reasons why I refuse to shop at Aldi’s:

1) It’s inconveniently located;

2) It would be yet another stop to make with the kids because they don’t sell everything I need, and I don’t have time or energy to do that;

3) The produce is even worse than at WalMart;

4) Generally speaking, I don’t like how their special brands taste; and

5) It’s dirty and always crowded, even more so than WalMart (and, what if you don’t happen to have a quarter in your wallet to get the cart out of the machine?).

Well, now I have a win-win situation because I’m getting Aldi’s prices at WalMart.

A while ago Aunt Kathy told me that WalMart will accept competitor prices. I filed that little piece of knowledge deep in the recesses of my brain and forgot about it until recently. The last two trips to WalMart I have brought along Aldi’s ads, as well as Kroger ads. Then I saved back the on-sale-at-those-stores items until the end and asked the cashier to reduce the prices, which she did with no questions asked.

This easy step saved me making two additional trips to Kroger and Aldi’s and, on my last trip, resulted in a savings of about $15.

Also, the brands don’t have to be the same for WalMart to give you the same price as long as you get the WalMart generic brand (Great Value or Sam’s Choice).

I’m blogging about this because I thought this tip could be useful to some of you busy moms out there trying to live on a budget! If you’re like me, unbuckling and re-buckling kids from car seats to chase down a deal is not your favorite hobby.

12 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a great idea, I had never thought of using the Adli adds!

Queen of Carrots said...

Man, I wish I had thought of that back when I was stopping at Aldi's, Kroger and Walmart every week. Ugh.

Right now Aldi's works really well for us because it is conveniently located for DOB to do the shopping on his way home from work (and because it's a small store with limited selection, he can do it on foot in a few minutes instead of taking forever in a motorized cart). And the produce is OK if you go there right after they get their shipment.

But sounds like you've found a great way to get the best of both worlds!

Alaina said...

That's a great idea, Amy! I didn't know you could use the Wal-mart storebrand in place of whatever store is in the ad! I also never thought to use Aldi ads - I've only used Kroger and Meijer!

Megan said...

Amy - I might have to break down and shop at Wal-Mart now too! I've always avoided it, but groceries are so expensive! Thanks for the tips :)

Catherine said...

Great tip! I have stopped shopping at Aldi very much anymore because they don't sell much I want to buy anymore. But they do have a couple of staple things at good prices, like cocoa powder and salt etc. I'll have to start saving those ads!

As an aside, I'm pretty sure that other stores will take competitor ads too. Tomorrow I'm planning to see if it works at Meijer!

Anonymous said...

I have to find some Aldi ads!!! BTW, if you can get ahold of a K-Mart ad, they seem to always have
good sales on fruit and veg every week. We'll have to try the Wal-mart brand instead of the store-ad brand.
Now, if we could only get Meijer to do offer the price-matching!

Andrea said...

Where do you get an ALDI ad that lists their everyday stuff? Can you do that? I get their emails and I pick up their flyers in store, but is there something else?

I shop both places, but I'd do anything to not have to make 2 stops.

Great article!

Anonymous said...

No Way! You just made my day. Today I went to 3 different grocery stores to get all their sales. I am going to Walmart next time. Thanks for sharing this!

Jessica said...

Hello,

I just linked over from Crystal's blog... your location caught my eye. I've already picked Catherine's brain a bit about Indiana, and I would love to hear some feedback from you. We are a homeschooling family in California who are considering a relocation. We flew to Indianapolis in June and we are going to return to see what your Winter feels like in January! Anyway, when it is convenient for you, would you send me a quick email with your thoughts, advice, etc. about life in Indiana (weather, good cities, etc.)

Thanks!

jlp91326@yahoo.com

Melonie said...

Great tip, thank you! I'm glad Crystal linked to it so I could come visit. I'll have to read your archived posts too. Sounds like you've got great ideas to share. :-)

To commenter Jessica: I'll have to hit your blog. We are homeschooling in CA also, but only temporarily. We'll relocate with the military again in a year or so. My hubby is from Indiana/Illinois border and I've been there once, in high summer. It was hot and humid, with a lotta corn and beans, but it was interesting country (I lived in WA from 1988 until this year) if you're used to the ocean or mountains. Got used to the heat/humidity after about a week. Good luck!

Chad, Joanna and Emmie said...

That is the best news I have heard in a long time!! Thanks for the info!

Kara S. said...

I linked over here from Crystal's blog, which I just found tonight. Great stuff!!! Due to our location and lack of convenient grocery stores, I typically shop at Wal-Mart and have been price matching for quite awhile. I find it is helpful to make a list of each grocery store's "deals" and use that list when checking out. I also try to group my items by store when checking out so I don't waste a lot of time flipping through the different flyers etc. (and annoy the person in line behind me). Another tip is to check out with a cashier who is experienced. I always try to choose the same cashier(s) each week. That way they get to know you and you can just tell them what items are on sale elsewhere rather than showing them every item in the flyer. I've had a few unpleasant experiences with new cashiers including one who refused to give me my paper towels at a matching price because the packaging was a different color in the picture. Oh well.