Thursday, October 23, 2008

Our Newest Family Member

Meet our first pet, a bright red Betta fish that Meredith immediately named Snowflake. Actually, for the record, his full name is Snowflake Snow.

This pet was given to us. It was part of the flower arrangement at a wedding we attended nearly two weeks ago. Yes, two weeks!! I’m happy to report that our fish is still alive. I had to rush to the pet store, on the advice of a friend, and buy water conditioner for his water, after he was appearing to be very lethargic. Now he once again swims around with vitality. If this fish dies of natural causes, I'm completely okay with that. If I personally cause his death by putting him in the wrong water, I'm so NOT okay with that!

I’m the type of person who thinks that pets are rarely, if ever, worth all the work and expense involved. But you should see the joy and happiness Snowflake Snow has brought to Meredith, and even Clara at times.

For about a week after we got this fish, Meredith asked every day if she could hold him. When we said no, she would then ask if she could at least PET him. When the answer was still no she sighed and asked, “Can I at least get a spoon and stir his water?”

We told her no but fish really love for you to stroke their bowls, sing them songs, and tell them stories. This answer seemed to please her.

So, maybe we should just break down and get a “real” pet. An outside pet that could occasionally sleep in our garage on really, really cold nights. Maybe. But, in the end, I’m thinking probably not.

7 comments:

Catherine said...

Ooh, ooh, could I interest you in a black dog that is very good with kids? :)

Just kidding. Sort of.

Queen of Carrots said...

Stir the water with a spoon! Hahahaha. That's great.

Alaina said...

Go with...not! :) Although (like Catherine) we could offer a very friendly little dog who is great with kids!

Anonymous said...

Tell her to ask Uncle Colin about the time he took his fish for a walk in his pocket :-) Too cute! Oh, and Mom and I drove by your house the other day. It looks great!
~Emily

Megan said...

Hahahaha. LOVE this. And yes, have Uncle Colin tell about his "friend" of a fish and how long it lasted when he petted it. :)

I vote "no" on a pet. That's why God made zoos.

Rachelle said...

I used to have horrible guilt that having a pet was good for children and I was an evil parent unwilling to make this sacrifice. That is my silver lining on Ben's pet allergies. No more guilt.

Jen S said...

Well, I'm sure you can gather this from reading my blog, but I would vote NO on getting a real pet! Warning: We started with a beta fish too.